Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus. 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18
We are in the days leading up to Thanksgiving, which is less than two weeks from now. However, it seems that yet again, we are skipping straight to Christmas. Now I’m not saying there is anything wrong with decorating early or listening to Christmas music in early November, however, I think that sometimes we forget to take time to truly think about what Thanksgiving should mean to us. In 1 Thessalonians 5, we see the works that we are to give thanks in all circumstance. That is not easy. In fact, it is hard and in this world full of distractions we can often forget to be thankful at all. I would encourage us all to take a few moments in the next couple weeks and be serious about giving thanks to God for some things:
- That he is our Savior, that he is living, and that he will come again
- For our spouses, family, and friends, those close to us.
- For our fellows members of the body of Christ who encourage us and help us to stay strong in our walk with God
- For God’s provision in our lives
- For God’s blessing (and not just the material ones)
- That God sent his Son to die on the cross for each and every one of us
- And a million other things that we all have to be thankful for, no matter our circumstances.
Did you know that having a grateful heart can help us to stay positive and also stay strong in our disciplines and our faith? It’s true! I challenge us each to starting giving thanks each day and see how it will change our perspective and our lives.
Thanking God for each of you,
~ Pastor Todd